Main menu

Pages

the real raleigh: jessie short




Name Jessie Short
Occupation Design Consultant and Mother



Who do you live with My husband Doug, our son William (11 months), and our two dogs Hank and Roy
What’s your sign Sagittarius

Describe your style in 3 words Traditional, bold and layered
Fool proof dinner party tip I’ve been known to serve take-out on fancy china.

What do you collect Ginger jars, blue and white china, and old family photos
Favorite places to score finds for your home Furbish, Robert Corprew Antiques, Studio 123 and estate sales





Favorite piece of clothing right now Madewell High Riser Skinnies
Favorite cocktail Jalapeno Cilantro Margarita from Calavera


Necessary extravagance/simple indulgence A housekeeper is my necessary extravagance. We have two huge dogs and I have already spent half of my adult life vacuuming. I do not feel guilty one bit letting someone else do it every two weeks. My favorite simple indulgences are fancy candles and good cheese.



Favorite song right now Now and always “Gypsy” by Fleetwood Mac.
A book you've read more than once “The Perfectly Imperfect Home” by Deborah Needleman. I always go back to this when I need some inspiration.


Your favorite 3 things in your house After my loved ones - my Sally King Benedict painting I had commissioned for my 30th birthday, my tortoise coffee table I stalked for 3+ years, and my bedroom chinoiserie wallpaper that my husband hates



Favorite place to get coffee in Raleigh Joule
Your newest music discovery I may be a newly converted Belieber. Do not judge. We are also on a Future Islands kick.



What can you not stop thinking about Colefax and Fowler’s Bowood fabric
New York or LA NYC



What’s always in your refrigerator Cheese, olives and hot pepper jelly
Book you're reading right now “Where’s Spot” and “The Luckiest Girl Alive”


Where is the last place you traveled Charleston
What did you bring back Five extra pounds, thanks to The Obstinate Daughter


What’s the most important thing you’ve learned this year This year has been all about becoming a new mother and finding balance. Very shortly after William was born, I struggled with the decision of whether to go back to my full time job or stay home with my child. My mom gave me the best advice and told me the best thing you can do for your child is to be happy.


What surprises you about Raleigh I moved here 12 years ago and I’ve seen a lot of change. I’m surprised to see Raleigh maintain a small-town feel despite its growth. It is the perfect place to raise a family with plenty of diversity, creativity and fun things to do.


What’s really important to you right now Family
The farthest you have been from home Italy


Impromptu talent show - how do you win I can jump rope while riding a unicycle. Long but true story. I’m pretty sure that wins. What is the prize?
If you were a boxer, what song would you walk out to Theme song to Ballers - Right Above It by Lil Wayne


How do you unwind A big glass of red wine(or two)
What is your favorite restaurant Bida Manda. The lettuce wraps are my go-to there.


What smell do you love Jo Malone’s Vanilla Anise is my favorite scent for fall.
What do you like to do in your home We’ve only been in our new house for 4 months, so I’m really enjoying taking my time to decorate this house. I also love sleeping which has been hard to come by these days and hosting dinner parties.


A collection you wish you'd designed Aerin Lauder’s Home Collection
What are you most excited about wearing this fall My Isabel Marant sneaks


Two things you love about your job Being my own boss and setting my own work schedule. I realized that time is a luxury and I want to be doing something I love if it takes me away from my family.



What’s coming up that you’re excited about We are planning a trip to Blackberry Farm in Tennessee in the spring.
Who would you want to play you in your biopic Caroline de Maigret


you can follow jessie on instagram here, and check out her blog, for the long and short of it

photos by anna barzin
reactions

Comments